MOT Testers Course Class 1 & 2 – Level 2 Award
To take an MOT testing course you must:
- have a current and full UK driving licence for the vehicle classes you want to test
- be a skilled mechanic with at least 4 years’ full-time employment servicing and repairing the types of vehicles you’re going to test
- have no unspent convictions for criminal offences connected with MOT testing or the motor trade, or involving acts of violence or intimidation
- be ‘of good repute’ – the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency will decide this to make sure you’re suitable to be an MOT tester
- You are not currently suspended or disqualified from MOT testing.
What the course involves
The course will cover theory and practical training on being an MOT tester.
The course lasts at least 29 hours and you will spend at least 8 hours doing practical training.
There will be pre reading included and some homework during the time on the course to ensure all guided learning hours are met.
There are 5 parts to the course:
- safe working practices in the vehicle test centre
- working relationships within the vehicle test centre
- managing your own professional development as an MOT tester
- carrying out pre-test checks for an MOT test
- carrying out an MOT test
Assessments in the course
The course also includes:
- a multiple-choice question test
- a practical assessment
You have to pass both to successfully complete the course.
Find out more on the Government website: https://www.gov.uk/become-an-mot-tester/mot-testing-course